Sunday, September 5, 2010

Getting Old

  I was pondering the pros and cons of getting older.  Start with the cons:
1.  I'm falling to pieces, one bit at a time.
2.  I have hair where I don't want it, and I don't have hair where I do want it.
3.  I'm running out of time to do some of the things I want to do.
4.  Time has flown by too quickly.  I didn't take the time to savor every moment when my children were young.
5.  People who I loved dearly are gone, and I'm not ready to be the oldest generation.
6.  I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up.
   I guess that's enough to start with.  But there are some pros as well:
1.  The maple trees we planted thirty years ago are huge now, so we have lots of shade.
2.  Larry has retired, so he has time to work in the yard.  It's never looked better!
3.  I don't care as much about what people think of me.
4.  I've overcome some of my compulsions--I don't have to finish every book I start, and I can turn off the car in the middle of a song on the radio.
5.  I've lived to see my children become awesome adults.
6.  My awesome children have produced awesome children of their own, who are the light of my life.
7.  My brain still works, even if my body doesn't.
All in all, I guess getting older isn't so bad.  Especially considering the alternative.

2 comments: