Sunday, July 11, 2010

Purfuit of Happiness

     In the Book of Mormon, Laman and Lemuel are complaining (as usual):  "Behold, these many years we have suffered in the wilderness, which time we might have enjoyed our possessions and the land of our inheritance; yea, and we might have been happy." (1 Nephi 17:21)  I underlined might have both times and penciled to the side probably not.  I can't imagine them ever being happy because they were miserable complainers by nature.
     We sometimes hear people in love say something like, "I just want to make him/her happy."  Or people who want to be in love say, "I just want someone who makes me happy."  Divorce is considered reasonable when the  other person doesn't make you happy anymore.  WRONG!  No one can make you happy. Other people can add to your happiness, but whether you are happy is up to you.
     We all know the "yes, but. . ."  people.  They complain, and when you try to point out positive things in their lives, they respond, "Yes, but. . ."  I prefer the converse.  Yes, my circumstances aren't the best now, being laid up for who-knows how long with a broken knee, but I'm happy.  I have so many blessings to focus on, why spend time bemoaning things I can't change.
      I have to disagree with our founding fathers a little.  I don't believe happiness is something you chase.  I believe it's something you choose.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a good example of that. It's crazy to think about how much life would improve for so many of us if we just adjusted our attitudes.

    ReplyDelete